Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

February 14, 2009 - BOOK REVIEW: Christianity In Crisis

Book

I read Christianity in Crisis by Hank Hanegraaff with mixed emotions. While I agree whole heartedly with his stance against “rock star”, celebrity ministers who are leading people astray, I found myself wishing he had spent more time teaching balance and context instead of bashing. Though his facts may be accurate – his approach came across very terse. The first part of this book made me feel as if I had picked up a trashy gossip magazine.

At chapter 25 (Amen), Hanegraaff begins to write about getting back from the counterfit, to the reality of victorious Christian living. The last four chapters of the book made more sense to me, than the first 24. I think that Hanegraaff’s time and energy would have been better spent if he had devoted his ENTIRE book on teaching the basics of sound biblical doctrine, rather than exposing the faults and flaws of others. One of the best ways to teach others how to spot the counterfit, is not to focus on the counterfit, but to make sure they understand and know the authentic. One of my biggest concerns about this book is that others read it and take offense at “faith” and the gospel workers who encourage them to “live by faith” or “have faith in God”. Without faith, it is impossible to please God. While I appreciate Hank Hanegraaff’s zeal in exposing the abuse and perversion of faith, I felt his approach could have been better.

No comments: