Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: Sense and Sensibility (Insight Edition)




I’m not sure how the die-hard fans of Jane Austen will feel about this “amplified” version of the  classic but I found it very interesting.   Having never read any of Jane Austen’s books before (because I just have a really hard time getting interested in the regency genre), I found that this version actually piqued my interest. 

I really enjoyed the little tid-bits of information that were included throughout the book.  Several of the comments made me laugh out loud!  (Though I wonder if Jane Austen would appreciate the humor in it!)  For example, about halfway through the book, there’s a conversation with “proper, flowery” English verbage between Elinor and Marianne, talking about a love interest.  Then, in the side note it says:  [7] As Beyonce says: Put a ring on it!  (page 173)  LOL!

I really enjoyed the “tone” of the comments and notes – it kept the book very current for me and made it easy (and fun!) to read.    The notes are on almost every page of the book and include historical and cultural details, definitions from the early 1800’s in England, facts and trivia about Jane Austen’s life, comments on the characters and plot, themes of faith drawn from the novel or Jane Austen’s life, and various other references.   

There are also conversation questions in the back of the book which make this perfect for a group discussion. 


This book was provided free for review by Bethany House Publishers


No comments: