Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Friday, March 19, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: Havah - The Story Of Eve





When I received this galley to review, I wasn’t familiar with Tosca Lee or any of her books.  Honestly, I wasn’t sure I was going to enjoy this book.  I had no idea what direction the author was going to take with the subject matter, but after reading it – all I can say is “WOW!”.   

Once I started reading Havah, I could hardly put it down.  I became so engrossed in the story that I felt compelled to read and see what would happen next.

Tosca Lee made me think long and hard about Adam and Eve in ways that I had never considered before.  Though this book is fiction, it presents some very interesting twists on what might have happened.  I love the way the story is written through Eve’s eyes.   The beginning of the book describes in great detail what it might have been like for Eve to suddenly wake up and not know where she was, nor where she came from.  I had never stopped to consider that she would have to learn so many things – including language.  Though we don’t know for sure other than what the Bible details, I think the author has done an outstanding job of getting readers to think outside the box of what they have been taught all of their lives about this famous first couple.   

Adam and Eve are the only humans who knew what it was like to live on both “sides” of the earth.  They lived on the earth in its perfected state – and also in a fallen world.  I’m sure the memories of what they gave up haunted them all of their lives, as this book suggests. This book evoked many emotions for me – I laughed, cried and felt the couple’s sorrow as they lived a life with their sin ever before them.   I walked away from this book thinking about how powerful and tormenting sin can be – and thankful for a Savior who redeemed me from it all.

First published in 2008, Havah was a Top Pick of 2008 by ChristianFictionReview.com and also won other awards.   Havah is scheduled to be re-released in August, 2010.

For more information or to pre-order:  



Tosca Lee is author of the critically acclaimed and extensively-awarded novels Demon: A Memoir and Havah: The Story of Eve. A sought-after speaker and former Mrs. Nebraska, she continues to work for local charities and as a senior consultant for a global consulting firm. Tosca holds a degree in English and International Relations from Smith College and also studied at Oxford University. She enjoys travel, cooking, history, and theology, and lives in Lincoln, Nebraska.



This Advanced Reader Edition provided free for review by BH Publishing Group

No comments: