Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Book Review: The Heart Mender






I would not be surprised if in the near future, The Heart Mender is made into a movie.  

Reminiscent of the writing style of Nicholas Sparks, the author has taken historical facts and fashioned a beautiful love story.  What made this book so interesting for me, was the author’s first chapter where he describes what led him to write this book.  The research and “behind the scenes” interviews fascinated me.  Andy Andrews states in his introduction that all of the numbers, history, dates and items he found are true. 

How could such an important event in history go virtually unnoticed?

I never remember learning about U-boats in history class, nor hearing that they had been in American waters attacking our merchant ships.  Being that these events took place after Pearl Harbor (which I love to read about), I am very surprised that I knew so little about this portion of history.  I am very glad Andy Andrews took it upon himself to write this book, and educate those of us who are interested.  More than 800 vessels in American waters were destroyed - many in plain view of Americans on the beaches.  Reading this book made me want to go back and do more research on this topic, for my own knowledge.  Cape Hatteras, (also known as Torpedo Junction) in North Carolina especially intrigued me, since my family is originally from North Carolina.

Andy made history come alive with this book!


Be sure to check out The Heart Mender's website: 

Book Description:

A unique blend of historical fact and engaging fiction showing the power of forgiveness.
In 1942, German subs are dispatched to the Gulf of Mexico to sink U.S. vessels carrying goods and fuel. 

While taking a late-night walk, Helen Mason—widowed by war—discovers the near-lifeless body of a German sailor. Enraged at the site of Josef Landermann's uniform, Helen is prepared to leave him to die when an unusual phrase, faintly uttered, changes her mind.

In The Heart Mender, a small town must prepare itself for the worst the world has to offer, and Josef and Helen must reconcile their pasts to create a future.

 
 
This book was provided free for review by BookSneeze

No comments: