Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Hearts Awakening by Delia Parr


For fans of the Christian Historical Fiction genre, Hearts Awakening is light on historical facts but provides an endearing love story.  

I wish I would have read the Author’s Note page first which is in the back of the book. I think it would be more noticeable and helpful in the front of the book as it helps the reader visualize the time period the author is trying to describe.   

The first page of the first chapter sets the story in 1840 but from there, I thought there was very little reference to the history of this period.  Maybe it was just me?

This story is based around Elvira Kilmer (Ellie), a spinster who longs for a husband and family of her own and Jackson Smith, a young widower in need of help raising his two small sons.  What starts out as a business deal ends up a marriage of convenience. Although there are some intense emotional moments in this book, overall I found the story pretty predictable and a bit sleepy for my preferences but I do give the author credit for writing a novel that is clean and decent.  

I’ve read too many “Christian” books lately that have crossed a moral line and I always appreciate an author who doesn’t compromise their principles when writing. 

This book was provided free for review by Bethany House Publishers


Visit the author's website 
Purchase a copy of Hearts Awakening

No comments: