Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Nightmare



Thanks to the recommendation of my friend and fellow reviewer ClickingHerHeels, I became very interested in reading Nightmare by Robin Parrish.  

See how powerful “word of mouth” can be?


I have to be perfectly honest and tell you that if I would have encountered this book on a shelf at the bookstore or library, I likely would have judged the book by its cover and walked on by.   

Generally, I am not interested in paranormal books and I REALLY don’t enjoy being spooked or freaked out so if I had gone with my first instinct, it would have been MY LOSS!

If you’re a roller coaster enthusiast, then you’ll understand what I’m saying when I compare this book to strapping yourself in on the biggest roller coaster you’ve ever ridden.  Imagine the frightening anticipation that comes with each “clink” as you slowly make your way up the long, ominous hill.


Clink…………..

Clink…………….

Clink…………….

CLLLLLLL-INK


And then?

WHOOSH!   You are falling and flying all at the same time and as much as you might want to get off of the terrorizing ride, at the same time you want to stay on.   Does that make sense?

I could not put this book down.  I think at one point, the pages may have been smoking from me trying to read so fast!!  LOL  If you like suspense and I’m talking nail-biting, hair-raising, on the edge of your seat hard-core suspense……..this book is for you!

Without giving the entire plot away, I was compelled to find out WHO (or what) was behind the creepy goings on and I had to know what the whole point of the story was.   I have no idea how Robin Parrish came up with the idea for this book but I found it captivating and eerie all at the same time.   

As he states in his “From the Author” section, this book wasn’t written to endorse the paranormal, or encourage the pursuit of it. In no way does the author suggest trying to make contact with the spirit realm, as described in this story.   Robin comes right out and tells you that he wrote this book to make readers THINK.  This is a story that will challenge you to think about what you believe and why.  It’s a fictional story (though many of the places mentioned are real), that Robin hopes will stir up conversation and thought.   It was also written for those who enjoy suspense.  


Sidenote:  As a reader, I no way endorse nor suggest dabbling in the dark side of the spirit realm which I fully believe exists.  If you didn’t read my review of Escaping The Cauldron, please do so.   It’s an excellent account of a woman’s journey out of the occult and what she experienced when she was a ghost hunter.  My personal belief, like hers, is that the only Spirit we should be seeking after, is the Holy Spirit.  



Many thanks to Robin Parrish, Andrea Heinecke and Bethany House Publishers for sending me a complimentary review copy of this book.


MORE ABOUT THE BOOK

Ghost Town is the hottest amusement park in the country, but when Maia Peters visits, she’s not expecting to be impressed. The daughter of two world-renowned “ghost hunters,” she’s grown up around the paranormal and to her most of the park is just Hollywood special effects. Until the very last attraction. There, in a haunted house, a face appears from the mist. The face of Jordin Cole, a girl Maia knows. A girl, Maia discovers, who has gone missing. Convinced what she saw wasn’t a hoax and desperate to find Jordin, Maia launches into a quest for answers. Joined by Jordin’s boyfriend–a pastor’s kid with very different ideas about the paranormal–the two soon find themselves in a struggle on the edge of the spirit realm as dangerous forces try to keep the truth from emerging.

Purchase NIGHTMARE

Learn more about Robin Parrish

Follow Robin on Twitter

Connect with Robin on Facebook





2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I knew you'd like it!
oooh and thanks for the little mention of me...LOL

Noah said...

Thank you for the review! I own this book, but now I KNOW I want to read it! I look forward to more of your reviews.