Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Immanuel's Veins

Like bees to honey, no doubt fans of Ted Dekker will flock to his newest book. However, I made the unfortunate mistake of choosing Immanuel’s Veins as the first book I would read to expose myself to this author and I believe it soured me.  

Dekker is wildly popular and has a steady following so I’m sure that the bad taste left in my mouth after reading this book is due to my personal preferences. On the back of the book it says: “But remember, not everyone is for this story.”  And I would caution readers that this story is not for everyone.

Depending on your tastes and preferences, I think you’ll either love this book or hate it. In all fairness to the author, if I would have known ahead of time that this story would revolve largely around a vampire(ish) theme, I never would have agreed to review it.  If you’re a Twilight junkie or a fan of vampires and storylines that involve drinking blood, you’ll likely be just as enamored by this book as several of the reviewers whose feedback was published in the Readers Speak Out section.  

I personally didn’t get the comparison of the vampire theme with the crucifixion of Christ. I had a really hard time trying to wrap my brain around Toma (one of the main characters) being compared metaphorically to Christ.   In my opinion, the whole story was basically an attempt to gain passage on the popular “vampire” bandwagon while maintaining some semblance of a Christian fiction novel.  This one didn’t work for me, but I’m sure there are many other readers out there who will appreciate this new release from Ted Dekker.

This book was provided free for review by Book Sneeze (Thomas Nelson Publishers)

4 comments:

Liz said...

Thank you for your review. I read the book, and I felt uncomfortable with Toma being the character representative of Christ as well. I was uncomfortable with a lot of other material, too.

anotherjoy said...

I too read this book at my first Ted Dekker book, and I was just as disappointed as you were. I've actually read all the Twilight books, and found them quite entertaining for what they were. But I was quite let down to realize that this book was just as superficial and "commercial" it seemed, consider the parallels it tried to convey. I agree that it seemed to be trying to copy and capitalize on the popularity of vampire stories in mainstream media, instead of realizing that the power of Christ's blood is the very thing the vampire stories have twisted into nonsense.

I may read some of Dekker's earlier books to confirm that this was just a fluke in his writing, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one who expected a lot more from him than this book gave me.

Dawn said...

Great review. I, too, didn't connect with this book at all. Even for a supernatural story it was too much of a stretch. Also, the seductive scenes were just a little too graphic, in my opinion. I get that's how it is in real life, but no need to drag people through that mudhole. Especially people struggling with a sexual addiction.

Trishalynn said...

what a relief! I thought I was the only one who didn't like this book! lol. Its also my first ted dekker book, and I never would have read it if I knew it was a vampire book. Not really my style or interest lol. Nice to find others out there with the same opinion!