Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury


Unlocked is a unique twist from the romantic fiction that Karen Kingsbury normally writes. This book focuses on an autistic boy and the miracle that music brings about in his life. The inspiration for this book came from the author’s own experience in meeting a young man with autism and what transpired in his life when he had an unusual breakthrough.

Unlocked is the story of Holden Harris, a young man who became autistic when he was three years old. At age eighteen, Holden is in his senior year at Fulton High School where he attends special needs classes. Holden doesn’t laugh, speak, or make eye contact – his only form of communication are special flash cards with pictures and words that he’s been taught to use as a means of expression. As in many high schools, bullying is a problem at Fulton High and Holden is often the victim of cruel jokes and comments.

Unlocked is an emotional story that tugs at your heart strings. It not only tackles the tough subject of autism, but also the issue of suicide. Karen Kingsbury’s fans will not be disappointed in her newest book and for those who have never taken the time to read her – I highly suggest starting with this one!






This book was provided free for review by Zondervan

1 comment:

tracysbooknook.com said...

I’ve been a big fan of Karen Kingsbury for many years and I thoroughly enjoyed Unlocked.

This is a stand-alone novel that I wish was part of a series – I enjoyed the characters so much I want more! The funny thing is that I usually complain about the way novels in series feel like unfinished books with too many loose ends. (shrug)

Anyway, I just posted more of my thoughts on this book on my blog at www.tracysbooknook.com.

-Tracy