Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Angry by Laura L. Smith


Although Angry by Laura L. Smith is marketed as “teen fiction”, I don’t believe I would allow my teenage daughter to read this. (if I had one)  

Divorce, adultery and alcoholism are some of the sensitive topics mentioned in this book and I strongly suggest that parents read this for themselves before handing it over to their teenager. 

Readers should also be aware that  “slang” is used in this book and the main character talks about losing her virginity.  All of these issues are very hot topics and I think that parents will have to decide for themselves whether or not this is an appropriate book for their child to read.

The book is about an angry teenage girl whose parents are divorcing after an extramarital affair.  This story details the thoughts, feelings and emotions that a teenager might experience while going through this.  Emma, (the main character) is also angry at God.

Based on the book’s description of this family, they do not appear to be actively practicing any type of faith so I’m not sure how the main character even knows about God.  There’s no mention of church attendance (past or present) or religious beliefs and God, family and marriage aren’t a high priority in this family. 

The parents have both thrown themselves into their careers, neglecting each other and leaving their teenage daughter to care for her siblings.  Emma is confused, frustrated and battling low self esteem.

At the end of the book, Emma talks about a “warm golden feeling” which she attributes to God, but the reader doesn’t walk away with a sense of reconciliation.  There’s nothing to indicate that Emma is making major changes in her life other than not being so angry at God anymore.  While she “talks” to God and asks Him for things, that’s about the extent of her relationship with Him.  She doesn’t seek out a pastor, counseling or a church, she doesn’t read the Bible; there’s just a lot of conversation between her and God in which she supposes what He says back to her.

I have to say I was a little disappointed in this book. It didn't convey the message of Christ that I thought it would.  Granted, you don’t have to be preachy to get the Gospel across but this title didn’t share much of any message, in my opinion. 

Maybe I misconstrued the intent of this book? I was hoping that it would not only help readers who have gone through this, identify with Emma, but perhaps it would point them to Christ, the only source of help we can rely on in times of crisis. 

I would have liked to have seen Emma and her family come to know Christ, establish a solid relationship with Him and possibly reconcile with each other.  Or maybe the parents could have made some type of effort to work things out – that scenario would at least give some hope. 

This story basically writes off one parent who slowly disappears from the scene, while the other plows through life, relying on alcohol to cope.  I didn’t find it necessarily uplifting nor encouraging, which I expected from NavPress.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."



About the Book:

Emma is angry. She’s angry at her siblings, who she always has to baby sit; her parents, who are divorcing and ruining her life in the process; and herself for not measuring up to anyone’s standards.

With her simmering feelings ready to spill over at any time, Emma's self-worth plummets. Her faith in God is tested in the face of overwhelming hurt that threatens to send her over the edge. Can she turn back in time?


Read a sample chapter

Download the free discussion guide

No comments: