Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Oak Leaves by Maureen Lang


I can’t remember where I first saw this book mentioned, but something about the cover made me want to read it.  I had no idea what it was about or that the author Maureen Lang was writing this story from personal experience.

I am so glad I read The Oak Leaves and consider it one of the best books I have ever found at my local library. 

I enjoyed the question and answer section in the back of the book, where Maureen talks about what inspired her to write this painful story.  Although the story is based on fictional characters, Maureen’s personal heartbreak is the backbone for the plot.

The book intricately weaves the past, present and future of the main character Talie Ingram and centers around Talie’s family tree and the secrets she discovers while researching it.  Normally I am not a fan of books that go back and forth between the past and present because I find it confusing to keep up with, but Maureen did a great job of keeping everything sensible and easy to follow.

I *felt* the characters emotions in this book and it was impossible to put down.  I ached for them, hoped with them and found myself strangely attached to them by the end of the book! 

This story is about love – the ultimate kind of love that perseveres through heartbreak and less than perfect circumstances.  As Maureen so eloquently writes it’s about a love that survives “All and whatever.”  It is a beautiful, refreshing story of commitment and covenant between a man and a woman, who face hard choices.

I LOVED this book!  I am definitely adding Maureen to my list of favorite authors and can’t wait to read more of her writing.


Read an excerpt of The Oak Leaves

Visit Maureen's website

1 comment:

Maureen Lang said...

What a lovely, generous review! Thanks so much for your kind words, they certainly touched me.