Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Promises to Keep by Ann Tatlock

I always enjoy picking up an Ann Tatlock novel, because they are so easy to get lost in. 

I become completely immersed in the story and feel like I am right there with the characters.  Promises To Keep was no different and I enjoyed every page. 

This book is a heart-warming story that tugs at your emotions as you travel along with Janis Anthony, a woman running from her abusive husband and trying to protect her children.

Moving to the quiet little town of Mills River, Illinois to be near her father, Janis attempts to start over and offer as normal of a life as possible for her children.  Hard as she tries to forget the past, Janis can’t truly find rest because she’s always looking over her shoulder fearful that her husband might find them.

Readers are introduced to wonderful characters who round out the plot as issues of alcoholism, domestic abuse, racial tensions, coming of age and the aging are touched upon.  This story takes place in the late 1960’s and I found myself transported back to a time that was full of both innocence and turbulence. 

I did not want to put this book down or have the story end and many times while reading, I found myself holding my breath waiting to see what would happen.  The story is captivating and definitely grabs the reader’s attention. 

I adored Tillie Monroe, the sweet elderly woman who I couldn’t help but fall in love with in spite of the abrupt manner in which she enters the lives of the Anthony family.  At the end of the book I kept thinking that everyone should be so blessed as to have a “Tillie Monroe” drop unannounced into their life.

I have long had Ann Tatlock on my list of favorite authors and this book is just another flawless example of why I love her writing so much.  Ann writes to the heart and soul of her readers, pulling them into complex stories rich with emotion and drama.   Every book of Ann’s that I read ends up becoming my “favorite”.   Her stories resonate with me long after the book is finished.

If you haven’t had the joy of discovering this author, I highly recommend starting with Promises To Keep.   Watch the promotional video for this book here.




Ann Tatlock is the author of the Christy Award-winning novel All the Way Home. She has also won the Midwest Independent Publishers Association "Book of the Year" in fiction for both All the Way Home and I'll Watch the Moon. Her novel Things We Once Held Dear received a starred review from Library Journal and Publishers Weekly calls her "one of Christian fiction's better wordsmiths, and her lovely prose reminds readers why it is a joy to savor her stories." Ann lives with her husband and daughter in Asheville, North Carolina.  You can learn more about Ann at her website 


This book was provided free for review by the author

No comments: