Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Final Summit



Get It For Kindle

The Final Summit by Andy Andrews is the follow up book to The Traveler’s Gift.  I would suggest reading The Traveler’s Gift first before reading this follow up title.  I did not do this and I think I would have had a better grasp of the plot of this book, if I knew the background of David Ponder’s journey as a “traveler.” 

Although The Final Summit references back to the first book and gives a brief review of what David Ponder experienced as a traveler, I think that the story would be more complete if the reader had the knowledge given in the first book.

This book picks up with David Ponder now 74 years of age and a widow.  Once again wealthy after bouncing back from bankruptcy, David has everything in life that most anyone longs for.  His life is enviable by those on the outside, but David is lonely and misses his wife.   He’s become almost a recluse in his high rise residence and his staff worries about him.

Fighting off fleeting thoughts of suicide, David struggles to understand why he’s been left alone.  Just as he’s overwhelmed with grief, the archangel Gabriel shows up and announces that David has been chosen for a new assignment: to lead the summit that will gather the Travelers and answer the ultimate question that will determine humanity’s future.

I fully expected to enjoy this book because I loved The Heart Mender, which was the first book of Andy’s that I read.   However, The Final Summit was hard for me to get into.  I’m not sure why I couldn’t really connect with it, but it just wasn’t the same for me. 

There is a reader’s guide included in the back of this book along with a website link where you can get free companion curriculum if you’re a teacher or lead a book club.


This book was provided free for review by Book Sneeze (Thomas Nelson Publishers)

More Andy Andrews Books

No comments: