Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Measure of Katie Calloway




~ Cafe Lily's Review:
Serena Miller won me over easily with this book and I cannot wait to read more from this author. I found the historical part of this story completely fascinating and was able to go back in time and get a glimpse of what life was like for loggers, woodsmen and owners of lumber camps in the 1800’s.   Serena’s book was able to interest me in a subject that otherwise, I might not consider reading about.

Serena’s writing was so vivid, detailed and interesting that even a rough, male-dominated subject like “logging” evolved into a wonderful heartwarming love story! 

Katie Calloway is an abused wife whose merciless husband plans to kill her.   Barely escaping Georgia with her life, she and her younger brother head as far north as they can go by train and end up working in a lumber camp in the deep Michigan wilderness.  Katie is thankful for the chance to work in such a remote lumber camp, sure that her husband will never find her.  However, what the camp owner doesn’t know when he hires his new camp cook is that Katie is not a widow as she portrays. The conditions in camp are brutal but the hardships outweigh the abuse she and her younger brother have suffered at the hands of her husband, Harlan.  Katie is more than willing to lie about her past to secure a safe future.

All of the characters in this story (Harlan excluded) are endearing and I couldn’t help but hold my breath, hoping that Katie would never be found out.  I felt very connected to this story and would love to read more historical fiction with as much feeling as Serena put into this book.  It was easy to get lost in this book and I hated to see it come to an end.   I highly recommend this book!






“Available October 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”


Kindle version


Purchase a paperback copy



Many thanks to Donna H. at Revell for my free review copy.

No comments: