Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Color Of Rain



As Cathy Spehn lay dying, one of her last conversations with her husband Michael was a directive:


“Call Gina Kell.”  “She’ll help you, too.”



Michael Spehn would never know just how prophetic those words were, until a few days later when he would meet Gina Kell for the first time at the funeral home.  Out of all of the visitors who came to pay their respects, Gina was the only one who really knew what Michael and his children were going through.  Gina had just lost her husband to cancer a few weeks prior. 


Though Cathy and Gina had only met a few times, Cathy was well acquainted with Gina’s husband, Matt Kell, whom she attended grade school, high school and college with.


Connected by their grief, Michael and Gina began a friendship based solely on the need of having someone to talk to. Over the course of time, their children also became friends and slowly but surely they began melting together as a family.  This book is the story of two shattered families finding their way back to love, life and happiness in the midst of tragic loss and heartbreak.


This book was excruciating at times to read and I wasn’t prepared for the graphic nature in which Gina writes about her husband’s death at home.  It was very hard to read, and even harder to experience first hand, I’m sure. 


I like the way the chapters flow back and forth from Michael’s experience to Gina’s, though I felt like I could relate more to Gina’s style of writing.  Their story is a perfect example of “beauty for ashes” and how God can take any tragedy and turn it into something wonderful and completely unexpected.


I had a very hard time putting this book down and read it almost in one sitting.  I highly recommend it!

Disclosure of Material Connection:

I received this book free from Zondervan.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.






No comments: