Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Captive Heart


The Captive Heart is the long awaited sequel to Paradise Valley, which I reviewed last April.    You can read that post here.

I was very anxious to read this second book, because it continues the story of the Bender family and like Paradise Valley, is based upon a true story.   I would suggest starting with Paradise Valley first, so that you get the back story on the religious persecution that drove the Benders from their home in Ohio, to Mexico. 

The Captive Heart deals with the conflict of Miriam Bender falling in love with someone outside of her Amish faith, and also continues the story of the challenges and hardships the Benders face in their new territory.  

Like Paradise Valley, I found this story to be interesting and relevant and far more contemporary than much of the Amish fiction that is out there.  You don’t often find bandits and weapons mixed in with the Amish community!  I think part of the reason I am enjoying these books so much, is that they stray from the expected storyline of what I am used to reading in Amish fiction.  I loved the twists and turns that Dale added to make the characters and plot exciting and interesting.

Dale Cramer is one of my favorite authors and if you haven’t been introduced to his books yet, I highly suggest you take the time to read them!



Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received this book free from Bethany House. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments: