Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wedded To War

Just when I think I can’t love historical fiction, more than I already do, a book like Wedded to War comes along. At 384 pages, this is a thick book, but the time flew by for me as I became completely immersed in the story. First book in the Heroines Behind The Lines series, this is the writing of a seasoned professional.

The story of Charlotte Waverly absolutely came alive and I could visually imagine the sights and sounds, described in the writing. Charlotte has been raised in privilege but feels called to do more with her life, than simply attend parties, entertain suitors and be the belle of the ball. She feels a deep compassion for the sick and the wounded, casualties of war, and her heart is stirred by the less fortunate. She goes against all odds and protocol, when she signs up to become a nurse for the United States Sanitary Commission. Her mother is appalled, and Charlotte has to follow her heart in spite of the disapproval of her family and friends.

The author based this book on the real life story of war nurse, Georgeanna Woolsey. I would strongly encourage reading the author’s notes in the back of the book, which detail how she came up with the story and the research involved. I cannot wait to read the next books in this series. Wedded To War is an absolute MUST read for those who enjoy historical fiction.

Setting: New York City, Washington City and the Virginia Peninsula.
Time: 1861 – 1862
Available Now

In Wedded to War, tending the Union army’s sick and wounded would mean leaving Phineas Hastings, the man Charlotte Waverly’s mother, Caroline, approved of, for an existence Caroline could not understand. To honor the father she lost to Cholera, Charlotte chose a life of service over privilege—just as her childhood friend, Caleb Lansing, had when he became a military doctor. She quickly discovers that she’s combating more than just the Rebellion by working in the hospitals. Would the two men who love her stand by and watch as she fights her own battles? Or would their desire for her wage war on her desire to serve God? She fought to get her place, and she fought even harder to keep it.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Moody Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.




2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Thank you so much for such a generous review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the book so much, including the notes at the end of the story. :) Working on novel #2 right now-Widow of Gettysburg-which I hope you will enjoy just as much when it releases in April!

Kalyn said...

Love historical fiction, especially around the Civil War - adding to my list!

Stopping by from the Litfuse tour.