Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Banished (A Memoir by Lauren Drain)

 

I've never been one to spend a lot of time reading about the Westboro Baptist Church, simply because they are so wrong and offensive. They delight in free media, even negative publicity and relish condemning others. However, Lauren Drain captivated me when I saw her one night during a brief television interview. I only caught the last part but when I saw that she had written a memoir, I wanted to know the story behind the young woman on t.v. My heart broke reading this book. Lauren takes her readers on a very detailed journey of what it was like when her father made the decision to move the family from Florida, to Kansas and join the WBC.

The more I read, the more my heart broke for Lauren and what she endured at the obvious ignorance of parents who became caught up in the lies and error of the WBC.  Lauren was trained and groomed to fall in line and not question the cultish group.   Over the course of time, Lauren joined the infamous pickets and held up signs, telling others, how much God hated them.

What I loved about this book is that although Lauren has many reasons to be bitter, her sweet spirit shines through even in the darkest parts of this memoir.  She was abused physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.  Her innocence and childhood was robbed.  She was obviously a "pleaser", wanting only to make her parents proud. 

I found myself angry at both of her parents for cutting ties with such a tender hearted person.  Lauren seems like the type of young women most parents would love to have for a daughter.   I could not understand how her parents could live with themselves, after using her and taking advantage of her.  They were ok with farming her out and using her to gain rank in the church, and for her finances.  I am so glad Lauren made it out and is not wasting another precious moment of her life on this worthless cult.

  Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received this book free for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.





No comments: