Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Moses Quilt

 

This was the first book I've read by Kathi and it was interesting, from a historical perspective. I am a huge fan of historical fiction and readers will learn a lot about Harriet Tubman from The Moses Quilt.

Having not spent a lot of time studying Harriet Tubman in school, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her life in this book. Initially, I liked how the author wove Harriet's story into the love story of an inter-racial couple, but after awhile, that part of the book dragged on way too long for me. I really felt like a few chapters could have been shaved off of the end, which would have made this flow at a much better pace. I found myself skipping pages after twenty chapters of back and forth between Harriet's story and Mazie not being able to decide if she's ready to get married.

 I would be open to reading the next book in this series, to give the series a fair chance. This one wasn't my favorite historical fiction ever read, but I did enjoy what I learned.


  Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received this book free for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.



 

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the first book in Kathi's new series. It was selected as January Fiction Book of the Month by The Book Club Network.

The genre it is listed under is contemporary women's fiction, not historical. I only wish to clarify that in case readers enjoy a certain genre over another.

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to review Kathi's work.

Blessings,

Cheryl

Cafe Lily Book Reviews said...

Thanks, Cheryl for clarifying that!