Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Robert Griffin III Athlete, Leader, Believer

 
I am not a huge sports fan, but I enjoy biographies, autobiographies and the like so I decided to give this book a try.

Prior to reading this book, I didn't know who Robert Griffin III was. This book tells parts of the story of his rise to fame, after being drafted by the Washington Redskins. However, this book doesn't solely focus on RGIII - it also includes details about other running quarterbacks such as Bobby Douglass, Michael Vick, Tim Tebow, Vince Young and others.

While the book was interesting and offered a variety of sports facts (and generalizations, such as RGIII's infamous socks) - it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I did learn that RGIII attends the church founded by David Crowder and considers himself a post modern Christian.

My 16 year old who *is* a sports fan?  He's devouring this book!  


In the back of the book, there are some play and formation diagrams which totally lost me. The football glossary was helpful but again, this wasn't quite the story I thought I was going to read.

I didn't feel like I learned more than surface details about Robert Griffin III so I wouldn't suggest this book for those wanting a pure biography about this player.

For sports fans like my son?  Absolutely.


Book Description

RG3 explores the athletic prowess, faith, and leadership of the NFL’s hottest star.
Robert Griffin III is a world-class athlete, a Heisman Trophy winner, team captain of the Washington Redskins, and NFL Rookie of the Year. Just twenty-two years old, he has begun his ascent as a game-changing NFL quarterback and living testimony of Christian faith. RG3 goes deep into the pressures of the NFL to showcase this young superstar’s abilities, faith, and leadership.

How does RG3 maintain his competitive edge? How does he deal with the pressure of carrying a historic franchise on his shoulders? Can he take the NFL pounding, week in and week out? What is the likely outcome of his career if he remains a “running quarterback”? How does he balance on- and off-field commitments? What’s his character like? What role does his faith play in all this?

RG3 is a great football book that offers an in-depth look at practices, media appearances, off-field commitments, on-field exploits, and quiet moments of leadership over the course of a season. Peek behind the curtain of an athlete in progress as he seeks to make a world-class impact with his talent and his faith at the same time.
 

No comments: