Copyright © 2008 - 2017
No part of this blog may be reproduced without express permission from the author/blog owner.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury

For those of us who remember "cutting our teeth" so to speak on Karen's first books, there is a glaring difference between the quality of her writing, then and now.

I remember the days of Shades of Blue - Oceans Apart - Like Dandelion Dust.   THOSE were Karen Kingsbury novels.   Fans of the Baxter series? We all fell in love with Kari, Landon, Ashley, Luke (just to name a few!).

*Rabbit trail.....why hasn't Hallmark picked upon this series yet? Wouldn't this be a great television series similar to what has been done with Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove? 

The last few books I've read, have just not been the same.   Remember when I said I had outgrown Karen's books?


I loved her first books so much, I decided to give it one last shot.

It did not go well.

I hate giving a negative review, but I have to be honest.

Fifteen Minutes is basically an American Idol transcript in print.  It appears to be a lazy attempt at writing a book, and the comparisons are SO similar, the title may as well have been American Idol. I felt like someone took notes during the show, changed a few names and scenarios and published it.

Karen's readers who started out with the early books, are going to be sorely disappointed.  This new title should be marketed as teen or youth fiction - it is definitely not in the same realm as her early writing.  There is a lack of maturity and depth - the writing feels surface and shallow.  The book was completely predictable and I skipped pages and pages.

For younger (teen) readers who love Christian fiction and are new to Karen's books, this will work. For her readers who are all grown up, and met Karen through the Baxter family and her earlier titles - this will not be something you'll want to spend your money on.  Huge disappointment.

If you want to read it, I suggest that you check it out for FREE at the library, before you buy it.


 

No comments: