Wednesday, August 4, 2021

The Nature of Small Birds by Susie Finkbeiner


The story in this book is as beautiful as the cover. I love birds so this cover immediately caught my eye. 

While the author tells this story through different voices and time periods, it flows effortlessly and was easy to follow. I connected deeply with the characters and found myself sad to leave them when I turned the last page. I became completely engrossed with this family, and there were some surprising twist and turns.

Prior to reading this, I did not know anything about Operation Babylift after the Vietnam war.

Over 3300 children were brought over from Vietnam to the United States which had many Americans wondering if this action was justified or simply a political move. The Nature of Small Birds gives readers an inside look at what this period of history might have looked and felt like for those who were involved. This story addresses the birth mothers forced to give up their children and those here welcoming them with open arms. 

This is one of the best book I've read so far in 2021. I highly recommend it!


No comments: