Wednesday, June 28, 2023

With Every Memory Janine Rosche



After a tragic accident robs her of the last nine years of memories, Lori Mendenhall comes home to a family completely different than she remembers. As her memory returns and past secrets resurface, it will take all of them to repair what's been broken and find a new future together.

Cafe Lily's Review:

The topic of this book was very intriguing to me which is why I agreed to review it. I wanted to see where the author would take me as I followed Lori Mendenhall on her journey. I started to get into the story at the very beginning but slowly lost interest as the pages turned. There suddenly became a bit too much going on all at once.  

I didn't like most of the characters, to be honest. I did connect most with Lori, but I found Xander and Avery to be annoying. I think it was the back-and-forth style in which this is written from various points of view that made it feel very disconnected to me at times and I grew bored. And while there are no overly descriptive parts or profanity, it does get a bit edgy so you need to be aware of that. More conservative readers will probably want to avoid this one.

Make sure you read the author's note at the beginning. To her list of topics, I would add high school bullying, sexual innuendos, and the car accident.

This was the very first book of Janine's that I've read. I have mixed emotions about whether or not I will seek out her other books. I was disappointed that God and faith were not a more vital/central part of this story. I don't think a book has to "preach" but I honestly didn't see much redemption in this story other than what the characters worked out for themselves. 

It was more about what they discovered on their own (regarding themselves), rather than turning to God in the midst of the tragedy.

I really believe this could have been made into a more meaningful story reflecting God's mercy, grace, and forgiveness in the lives of these characters. It just wasn't quite what I expected. 


No comments: