Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Life We Never Expected

I found it interesting (and timely) that as I was posting about many of the unexpected things that happened in my life recently, I would be given the opportunity to review a book, talking about just that!

The Life We Never Expected is about surprises, disappointments, hurt, faith, love and family.

As I was reading it, I felt like the authors were inside my head at times. Though they are dealing with a completely different "surprise" than what I've gone through, the stages of feelings and grief they experienced were basically the same.

There is so much wisdom and good advice here, from people who are living it. I really liked Andrew's analogy of "the orange" - I won't spoil it for you, but I was captivated at his description of the unexpected, and how it feels when you realize what you have been given. The temptation to compare your life, with what everyone else has gotten, is so strong.

This book helped me take a deep breath, because just like the authors, my journey of unexpected isn't over.  As I face the new challenges coming my way, this book helped me realize my "new ordinary."

I love that the book focuses on worshiping God and staying in His presence, while cycling through the stages you go through (Weeping, Worshiping, Waiting, Witnessing, And Breathe).

This book is a must have, for any parents or families with special needs children.  I would say it is also a must have for everyone else, because it applies to so many different challenges we face.

I highly, HIGHLY, recommend this one!

About The Book
Andrew and Rachel Wilson know what it means to live a life they never expected. As the parents of two children with special needs, their story mingles deep pain with deep joy in unexpected places. With raw honesty, they share about the challenges they face on a daily basis—all the while teaching what it means to weep, worship, wait, and hope in the Lord. Offering encouragement rooted in God's Word, this book will help you cling to Jesus and fight for joy when faced with a life you never expected.

Author Andrew and Rachel Wilson are the authors of The Life We Never Expected: Hopeful Reflections on the Challenges of Parenting Children with Special Needs and have two children, Zeke and Anna. Andrew is the teaching pastor at King's Church London and a columnist for Christianity Today.

Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post. Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win. Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.

No comments: