Thursday, November 10, 2016

Rhythms of Rest by Shelly Miller


Listen to this book for free on Audible with this link:  FREE Audible Trial

 *As an Amazon Associate, any qualifying purchase may allow me to earn a commission. 

--------------------------------------------------------

This book is for anyone who is weary--who longs for rest but doesn't know how to make it a reality. Shelly Miller, a sought-after mentor on Sabbath-keeping, shows how even busy people can implement a rhythm of rest into their lives--from small windows of time to a whole morning or day. *Sadly, Shelly passed away in November of 2020.

With encouraging stories from people in different stages in life, Miller shares practical advice for not only finding physical refreshment but also restoring your soul.

You will learn:
· Simple ways to be intentional about rest
· Ideas for tuning out distractions and tuning in to God
· How meals and other times with friends and family can be Sabbath experiences

Sabbath is a gift from God to be embraced, not a spiritual hoop to jump through. Discover how genuine rest is possible today.


Cafe Lily's Review:

This book was so timely for me.  I have been intentionally focusing on Sabbath and rest, and what that looks like for me, so when the opportunity came up to review this book, I was thankful to get a copy.

Cafe Lily has been more like "Cafe Chaos" the past few years.

If you have spent any time reading my blog, you already know why. 

"Rest" has been nearly impossible for me, much less easy.  Resting was the last thing on my mind, until the Lord began dealing with me.  And even then, I had no idea HOW I was going to rest.  I had so much to do! And yet I was so tired, so weary.  Emotionally, mentally and physically wrung out.  Spiritually dry.  Numb for the most part.

I love that this book emphasizes what Sabbath is and is not.  Sabbath does not mean a list of rules, or "thou shalt nots" on Sunday.  What Sabbath looks like for you, may be a little different for me.

Sabbath is necessary, and oh so worth it, if you put it into practice.  Resting does not come easy for me - working 7 days a week was normal, or at least I thought it was. I bought into the lie of the enemy that Sabbath was not possible.  Or as the author writes about, relying on myself instead of trusting God.

This book helped me pinpoint areas, where I can shore up and strengthen my resolve that I will Sabbath, no matter what the circumstances look like. 

In essence, it was like being given permission to let go.   And there is such a freedom in resting.

I suggest that you get your hands on a copy of this book, if you need some direction regarding Sabbath.   As part of my Sabbath the past month, I read a chapter or two of this book.  I found myself relaxing, taking a deep breath and looking forward to my time of rest.

The very first chapter talks about baby steps - if you aren't able or willing at this point to devote an entire day to rest, this book will help you incorporate shorter time periods.  You can work your way up, or stay at whatever feels like a rest for you. Shelly gives a lot of personal examples all through the book, so readers can see what rest looks like.  I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE OR LEARN MORE!

 

You can also use a FREE trial of Audible to listen to this book! 

FREE Audible Trial

 

Thank you for taking the time to visit my site. *Most links you find here are affiliate and I may receive a small commission off of each sale. 


No comments: