Sunday, October 30, 2016

Long Way Gone by Charles Martin

“No matter where you go, no matter whether you succeed or fail, stand or fall, no gone is too far gone. You can always come home.” 


At the age of eighteen, musician and songwriter Cooper O’Connor took everything his father held dear and drove 1,200 miles from home to Nashville, his life riding on a six-string guitar and the bold wager that he had talent. But his wager soon proved foolish.

Five years after losing everything, he falls in love with Daley Cross, an angelic voice in need of a song. But just as he realizes his love for Daley, Cooper faces a tragedy that threatens his life as well as his career. With nowhere else to go, he returns to his remote home in the Colorado Mountains, searching for answers about his father and his faith.

When Daley shows up on his street corner twenty years later, he wonders if it’s too late to tell her the truth about his past—and if he is ready to face it. A radical retelling of the story of the prodigal son, Long Way Gone takes us from tent revivals to the Ryman Auditorium to the tender relationship between a broken man and the father who never stopped calling him home.


 Cafe Lily's Review:


That book you see pictured in the photo way up at the top?   It's one reason I still enjoy reviewing books. 


If you've spent any time around here, you already know there's been just a little chaos going on, the past few years.

With my days so full of "life" and having little time to kick back and get totally lost in a book for awhile..........this is what I am looking for when I need a mental break.

I am no stranger to Charles Martin's books.  If you do a search on this blog you will find reviews for Thunder and Rain, The Mountain Between Us, A Life Intercepted, and others.


As I wrote in an earlier review:

I discovered Charles Martin when I read his first book, The Dead Don't Dance, published by Thomas Nelson. I saw the title at my local library, and became intrigued with the cover, so I brought it home. 


Years ago, I just happened to be wandering around the local library and stumbled upon what was my first, (but definitely not the last) book I would read by this author.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I experience just about every emotion you can think of reading these books.  Long Way Gone had me grieving, laughing, crying, longing, smiling, hurting - it was an emotional journey, but oh so worth it.  

For the longest time, I was torn between When Crickets Cry and The Mountain Between Us as my favorites, by Charles.  However, Long Way Gone has muddied the water.....I think this is my new favorite! 

I believe all of us, at some point in our lives, have a bit of the "prodigal son" in our life, attitude, approach.  This book reminds us of just how powerful, far reaching, and cleansing the grace of God is towards us.  

The writing is not overly preachy, but straight forward.  There is no mistaking the message when you turn the last page.

I loved it.  I highly recommend it!

And the one Charles Martin book that made me cry the most so far?  

Where The River Ends, hands down.


 



No comments: