Monday, March 13, 2017

Snow by Kathryn Hewitt


How do you know, at fifteen, what love and affection really mean?

Ruth learned all too soon that love is commitment, and affection has a price. But who will ultimately make the commitment, and who will pay the price?

 At fifteen, Ruth thought she had her life planned out. That is until she met Luke, a charming new cadet from the local military school. After entering into a seemingly harmless teenage romance, Luke's possessive attitude and subtle remarks begin to undermine Ruth's confidence, sending her into an emotional tailspin.

A beautiful young girl is suddenly lost in a grown-up world, trying desperately to hang on to a love she thought would last forever. Shattered dreams and hopeless tears become the bricks that build walls around Ruth; yet just below her broken heart, a beautiful vessel is being formed.

Join Ruth on her wedding day, five years later, as her childhood friend helps her journey back to face the demons of her past.


Cafe Lily's Review:

This has been on my  "to read" list for a long time.   While it is not the most well-written book I have ever read, it carries an important message.  Snow is based on a true story, and so that immediately captured my interest.  I did think that the parts where Ruth is going back and forth in her mind between past and present, became a bit excessive and distracting.

Having said that, I believe the message is far more important than the mechanics in this case, and for that reason I recommend this book.

Kathryn Hewitt said two things in an author interview, that readers should keep in mind when reading Snow.....

Why she felt inspired to write this book............
I became pregnant at fifteen. My mom was determined that I didn’t become a statistic, so I continued my education and went on to college while raising my son. At the time of my pregnancy and when he was an infant, it was extremely difficult and on more than one occasion I thought I couldn’t do it, but I did. I want other girls, who find themselves with unwanted or unplanned pregnancies, to know that they can do it, too.

The message she hopes to convey..............
God is listening. When people are in a crisis, they cry out to God, whether they are believers or not. I want every person who reads this book to know that God is there. He hears us and He does care. Sometimes our circumstances don’t turn out the way we want them to, but God sees the bigger picture and everything works out for the good of those who love Him. Miracles do happen when we pray. There is Hope in every situation.


 

No comments: