Monday, May 1, 2017

The Chapel Car Bride - Judith Miller


About the Book:
Hope Irvine always sees the best in people. While traveling on the rails with her missionary father, she attracts the attention of a miner named Luke and a young mine manager. When Luke begins to suspect the manager is using Hope's missions of mercy as a cover for illegal activities, can he discover the truth without putting her in danger?

Cafe Lily's Review:

I had mixed feelings when I finished this book.  I have mentioned my love for historical fiction many times in other reviews I've posted here, but this book was kind of all over the place for me.  Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres to read, but this book disappointed me.

I had a hard time becoming engaged with the characters.  While the book had a lot of potential, the writing seemed to graze the surface of many issues and involve too many plots all going at once. There was some slow build up and repetition which made the book feel like it was dragging. And then, all of a sudden, the ending of the book just felt abrupt and rushed to me.

I could not find a happy medium while reading this.  It was either too slow and drawn out, or suddenly over.  I did enjoy discovering some of the history of chapel cars, and prior to reading this, I didn't know much about them.  I thought the cover was beautiful and well done, it captured my interest and made me want to read this book.

I think in this case, each reader will have to decide for themselves.


 

No comments: