Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Waves of Mercy by Lynn Austin

Chicago socialite Anna Nicholson retreats to the Hotel Ottawa in Holland, Michigan, after breaking her engagement with her wealthy fiancé. Filled with questions about her newfound faith and troubled by a recurring nightmare, Anna finds solace in Derk Vander Veen, a seasonal hotel worker who plans to go into the ministry.

Prompted by a request from her son, Geesje de Jonge begins to sift through memories of emigrating from the Netherlands almost fifty years ago. As she writes them down for the Semi-Centennial anniversary of the town's settlement, her story takes on a life of its own as she honestly and painfully recalls her regrets, doubts, hardships, and joys.

Her story captivates Derk, who sees similarities between Geesje and Anna, and wishes to bring the two together. Past and present collide as Anna and Geesje seek clarity, but neither expects the revelations that await them.



Cafe Lily's Review:

I've said it before, when reviewing Lynn's books, but it is worth repeating.

Lynn is one of my favorite authors and is one of the best writers of historical fiction that I have personally found.  I waited anxiously for her newest book and was not disappointed.

There was just the right mixture of romance, suspense, and history blended into this story.  It was an interesting journey, and the family secrets that kept popping up, kept me riveted until the last page.

Sometimes with dual timelines in a story, its confusing to go back and forth from past to present.  Not so, with this book.  Lynn wrote it beautifully and I was easily able to follow what was happening.

I really enjoyed learning more about the history of Holland, Michigan. Historical fiction is my favorite genre to read, because I learn something new and interesting.

When it's written by Lynn Austin, I know automatically that I am going to enjoy it even more.  I have yet to read one of her books that I haven't recommended.

If you love historical fiction as much as I do, this is one to add to your library.



 

No comments: